Friday, September 12, 2008

KipuKai`s 2nd article in G.I. (Q&A)

Council candidates answers Sunday, September 7, 2008

by Michael Levine - The Garden Island

Editor’s note: The following seven questions were posed to the 23 candidates for Kauai County Council. Two candidates a day will have their answers reprinted in their entirety until all candidates’ answers have appeared.

1) Define what future development on Kaua‘i means to you. Please use specifics.
2) What is your vision of the island in 10 years?
3) What specific credentials do you have for being a County Council member? Why are you the best for our county? Again, let’s get specific. What positions of power have you held in the past? What connections do you have that will benefit the county?
4) How will you work with the other six members of the County Council if elected? Would like some specific tactics and strategies you would use to act on the county’s behalf within the larger group.
5) What is your history? Born and raised here? Mainlander? Family? Residence? Career? Education?
6) What does open government mean to you?
7) What is the single, most important issue to you?

KipuKai Les P. Kuali‘i

1) Future development on Kaua‘i to me has to include affordable housing to help alleviate the ever worsening problem of overcrowding and our “invisible homeless.” I would also like to see future development support job creation in green industries like sustainable agriculture and clean, renewable energy alternatives.Our planning process’ failure to direct and control growth in sensible and sensitive ways is diminishing our quality of life. Let’s require adherence to smart growth principles. Let’s pass a “Use it or lose it law” so unused development rights expire and not remain in effect indefinitely. And let’s amend the coastal setback laws based on the scientific results of the Coastal Erosion Study.

2) My vision for Kaua‘i in 10 years is for returning to resourcefulness and sustainability, and for reconnecting with our traditions and values, especially malama ‘aina (caring for our island) and malama kekahi i kekahi (caring for each other). I see us working hard together to solve our most pressing problems while preserving our island, culture and lifestyle.I see development being directed and controlled by smart growth planning, our solid waste challenges being met by aggressive maximum reduce, reuse and recycle programs, as well as community volunteer zero waste efforts and our energy challenges being met by successful clean, renewable energy alternative start-ups such as a wind and hydropower.I see more and more of our citizens benefitting from extensive community assistance outreach and education. Our fully overhauled real property tax system is providing relief to residents while also providing incentives to businesses. Our inpatient drug treatment center is fully operational and successful family-based treatment and prevention programs are ongoing. Our government leaders spend our tax dollars responsibly utilizing regular audits to prioritize county services and eliminate wasteful spending. Our citizens have full access to government and our sunshine laws will are some of the most progressive in the nation.

3) A passionate community organizer dedicated to helping others, I have over 20 years experience in labor, political and community campaigns across the country. Currently, I’m the coordinator of AKAMAI Mahi‘ai, a community economic development project creating an agricultural training and agribusiness center, developing local leaders and bringing additional resources to Anahola.I think I’m best for our county because I’m fully committed to working hard, working smart and working together with others.I’m currently a director with the Hawai‘i Alliance for Community-Based Economic Development, Hui Kako‘o ‘Aina Ho‘opulapula (Department of Hawaiian Home Lands waitlistee advocacy) and the Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement. I’ve also been president and chief negotiator of the West Hollywood Municipal Employees union. As executive director with Pride At Work, AFL-CIO in Washington, D.C., I was an effective community organizer, educator, lobbyist, writer and presenter.I traveled with Up With People for a year with 180 other young people from 15 different countries; lived with over 100 host families; performed and promoted a professionally produced musical show; attended lectures and discussions with civic, business, and industry leaders; as well as participated in community service projects. These experiences required teamwork, learning quickly, communicating effectively, self-confidence and empathy.

4) Would like some specific tactics and strategies you would use to act on the county’s behalf within the larger group.I will build strong working relationships with each of my six colleagues by being a good listener and by always being prepared to work on the issues. I will strive to always be professional and to approach each day and challenge with hard work, honesty and integrity.I will be a consensus builder and I will push for expediency on behalf of the people. I will always act in the best interest of the people of Kaua‘i and my motivation will always be to bring people together to make a difference. Finally, I understand what an honor and privilege it is to serve at the will of the people.

5) Born in Lihu‘e, I spent my first years in KipuKai Ranch where my parents, Wilfred Kuali‘i and Patricia Carvalho, worked and first met. I was raised in a large sugar plantation family in Old Puhi Camp (now the KCC garden farm). Mom and Dad taught us to be resourceful, work hard, put family first and take care of our island and each other.As the eldest son of the Corr family, Dad grew up in the lo‘i kalo (taro patches) and lo‘i pa‘akai (Hawaiian salt beds) of Hanapepe. He shared with us those experiences along with his proficiency as a paniolo (cowboy), hunter, fisherman and gardener.I credit my integrity and humility to my grandparents, James “Red” Corr and Melapa “May” Makanui of Hanapepe and Ernest “Shiriki” Carvalho and Clarissa Ferreira of Lihu‘e.I was an honors student at Immaculate Conception, Kamehameha and the University of the Pacific where I earned a degree in business administration.I have 20 years experience in government, labor and nonprofit administration, and I’ve worked for social and economic justice across the country before coming back home to help my own family and community.

6) Open government means our citizens have full access to their government and our sunshine laws are some of the most progressive sunshine laws in the nation.

7) Our planning process’s failure to direct and control growth in sensible and sensitive ways diminishes our quality of life. Let’s require adherence to smart growth principles. Let’s pass a “Use it or lose it law” so unused development rights expire and not remain in effect indefinitely. Such a law would have greatly reduced the development on our South Shore today. And let’s also amend the coastal setback laws based on the scientific results of the Coastal Erosion Study.

No comments: