Sunday, September 28, 2008

KUALI`I receives support of Kaua`i's working families

For Immediate Release Friday, September 12, 2008

KipuKai Leslie KUALI`I 212-9192 or 652-3684

KUALI`I receives support of Kaua`i’s working families

After making his requests and sitting through their Political Action Committee (PAC) interviews, council candidate and longtime community organizer, KipuKai Leslie KUALI`I received the endorsements from several of the labor unions representing Kaua`i’s working families.

So far, KUALI`I’s labor endorsements include the…
Firefighters or the Hawai`i Fire Fighters Association, Local 1463
HGEA or the Hawai`i Government Employees Association (HGEA), AFSCME Local 152 primarily representing white collar workers from the State and County
ILWU or the International Longshore & Warehouse Union (ILWU), Local 142
Laborers or the Laborers’, Local 368
SHOPO or the State of Hawai`i Organization of Police Officers
UPW or the United Public Workers (UPW), AFSCME Local 646 primarily representing blue collar workers from the State and County

Emphasizing empathy as one of his greatest strengths, Rowena Tachibana, UPW Kaua`i Division Secretary stated, “KipuKai is a genuine, thoughtful and compassionate leader who understands first-hand the challenges facing our working families and our island. It’s not surprising our PAC members voted unanimously to support his candidacy.”

Reacting to all the endorsements, KUALI`I said, “As a community organizer and champion of working people, I’m honored and humbled to have these endorsements from the workers who keep our County and State running and who contribute significantly to our island community’s quality of life. These endorsements and my solid experience fighting for economic justice is helping our campaign generate support from working families across Kaua`i.”

UPW State Director Dayton Nakanelua shared, “I always believed that KipuKai KUALI`I had what it takes to be an effective elected leader. I’m really looking forward to his service on the Council. KipuKai’s core values, passion, dedication and commitment for Kaua`i and its people will serve to guide him in issues brought to the Council.”

KUALI`I served as Business Agent for the UPW in 2004-05 and is currently a member of the Hawai`i Government Employees Association (HGEA), AFSCME Local 152. A community organizer and labor activist, KUALI`I has been part of the labor movement for over twenty (20) years. His father, Wilfred KUALI`I of Puhi, was a sugar plantation worker and International Longshore & Warehouse Union (ILWU) member for thirty-five (35) years. KUALI`I says he’s grateful for the security his family had with union-provided, first-rate healthcare benefits; even describing his beautiful smile enthusiastically as “union-made teeth”. He also fondly remembers the good times the family enjoyed at drive-in, political rallies in the park next to the old police station.

Leilani Mindoro, UPW Kaua`i Division Director shared, “Having worked side-by-side with KipuKai, I know him to be smart, energetic and dedicated to helping people. He definitely has the vision and the follow through to make real and positive change.”

Being the organizer he is, KUALI`I has been sharing campaign coordination with union member supporters including campaign calendars, brochures, bumper stickers, buttons and volunteer cards for distribution. Members have already begun campaigning with KUALI`I sign-waving and going door-to-door.

Kaua`i native KipuKai Leslie KUALI`I is a first-time candidate for the Kaua`i County Council. To find out more about his candidacy, visit www.kualii.org or call 212-9192.
###

No comments: